Most CS leaders would agree that staying organized is key to being successful in CS, whether it is on a micro-level (rep) or macro-level (org).
You need to be organized to succeed long-term.
Mastering organization in a fast-moving and complex CS world can be tough. It takes time to find a repeatable and scalable way to keep yourself and your team organized.
And often many CS people struggle with this because they don’t cover all dimensions of CS organization.
Here are four things that – done together – will help your team stay organized in CS:
- Structure – Provide guidelines and direction. When to focus on what.
- Methodology – Make sure your team knows the methodology. How to implement and get it done.
- KPIs – Use data to get insights on what your team is doing well and what they can improve on. Measure the progress.
- Accountability – Follow-up consistently and hold people accountable. Execution and follow up is key!
- Bonus: Systems – Use CS tech to enable and systemize many of these things (i.e. KPI (goal) setting, workflows, analysis, follow-up)
Keep ALL these in mind, and you will create a consistent environment for success.
And avoid the biggest pitfalls:
- forgetting/neglecting one of the steps (i.e. structure does you no good without methodology)
- not being consistent over time (i.e. losing focus when things get – as they always do in CS – hectic).
So, get organized, be consistent and see results improve!